Monday, January 28, 2008

Poems?!



We've started a "tea/literature time" after lunch every day. So, today we read poems out of The Kingfisher Book Of Children's Poetry. Here are some really inspiring ones:

The Night
By: AL-KHANSA

My eye cried and woke me.
The night was pain.



YOU
anonymous
You are like the hungry cat
that wants to have fish
He won't wet his claws


I'D RATHER
anonymous

I'd rather drink muddy water, sleep in a hollow log,
than stay in this town, treated like a dirty dog.

And now, here's my favorite. This one is classic.

THE DEATH OF ROMEO AND JULIET
anonymous
Romeo rode to the sepulchre, 'mong dead folks, bats, and creepers;
And swallowed down the burning dose-when Juliet oped her peepers.
"Are you alive? Or is't your ghost? Speak quick before I go."
"Alive!" she cried, "and kicking too; art thou my Romeo?"
"It is your Romeo, my faded little blossum;
O Juliet! is it possible that you were acting possum?"
"I was indeed; now let's go home; pa's spite will have abated;
What ails you, love, you stagger so; are you intoxicated?"
"No, no, my duck; I took some stuff that caused a little fit;"
He struggled hard to tell her all, but couldn't, so he quit.
In shorter time than't takes a lamb to wag his tail or jump,
Poor Romeo was stiff and pale as any whitewashed pump.
Then Juliet seized that awful knife, and in her bosom stuck it,
Let out a most terrific yell, fell down, and kicked the bucket.

6 comments:

Emily of the North said...

Those are awesome! Especially the one about Romeo and Juliet. lol

Elie said...

Seriously! It's hilarious! ;-D

Diane said...

I didn't realize you were paying attention. I'm impressed.

Elie said...

Well.....those are the ones I read out loud to everyone. I kind of had to pay attention.

Jannah said...

Hello there. Can ask for a favour from you? So do you own a copy of the Kingfisher's Book of Children Poetry? Would you mind putting up the poem "the Old Field" in your blog? I've been searching online for a copy of that poem and have yet to find one. Is it by Ralph Waldo Emerson?

Brigid said...

I've had The Death of Romeo and Juliet memorized since fifth grade. It's just that good.