Thursday, April 24, 2008

Track news!

Ok...I haven't posted my results for the last 2 track meets, so here they are.

Last Tuesday I did the 100, long jump, and the 800. (I chickened out of the 4x400 because I wasn't feeling too great after the 800 and have been regretting it ever since because only one other team ran it) I stunk in the 100. Horrible time (ok, not horrible, but not better..like 14.6) , placed like 2nd to last in my heat (but I WAS in the 3rd heat out of 4, so apparently I'm not all that bad :-D) I placed 12th overall. Blech! I did badly in the long jump too. I only jumped 11'10.25". Blech again. I think everyone jumped badly though, and I placed 5th overall, so that was kind of cool. I got 3rd in the 800!!!! But the best part is that I knocked 5 whole entire seconds off my time!!!!!!!!!!! I got 2:39!!!!!!! I felt horrible after it though. You'd have thought I sprinted a 2 mile or something. I'm so out of shape! The results of the meet can be found here.
That meet is supposedly one of the hardest we'll do all year, so it's encouraging to know that I can place in the 800 running against schools like that. (although..they are 3rd division)

But on to the exciting meet!

It was an invitational! YAY! Those are the kinds where you get stuff! I did the 100, long jump, 800, and 4x400. (being determined not to chicken out of the 4x400 this time..and actually I had more time to recover from the 800 because they ran the boys and girls 2 mile separately)

WELL........................................
I got 7th in the long jump!! (they gave ribbons down to 8th place at this meet because there were 10 schools and lotsa runners) I got 3rd in the 100!!!! Yippeeee!!! I ran a 14.36 in the prelims putting me 2nd in my heat (though at the time I thought that it was the slow heat). Then they announced the names that had made it into the finals over the loudspeaker..They said a bunch of names ending with, "AND..so and so." and I thought, "Oh..didn't make it. Oh well." Then, "AND eeleena luke and so and so" Eeleena..hmm..I'll take it. Thank goodness my last name is nice and recognizable. So I made it into the finals, which was exciting enough. I figured that I would probably be last in the finals because they had announced my name last..so I thought my time must have been slowest. I ran somewhere around 14.18seconds, which is a new record for me! And I got 3rd place.

Then, of course, my favorite (not) the 800. I ran a pretty bad time (for me..well..no. More like average time), 2:42. I got 2nd place! The winner had a time of 2:35. I should be able to run that. It's only 4 seconds faster than my best time! But when I passed the girl who was in 2nd, I was so worried about her passing me that I didn't pay enough attention to the girl who was winning. I let her get way too far ahead of me. Anyway, it was exciting to get 2nd!

Then we got 3rd place in the 4x400. That's my fault. I should have pushed myself to run it harder. I mean, it's only a 400! I could have got us in 2nd, and I'm sure that our team could have kept the place..or at least gotten a better time. It was like 4:58, which is pretty bad for us. But we did place 3rd out of like 6 teams, so.....yeah.

Our girls team (all 4 of us!) managed to get 9th place out of the 10 teams. We were SO EXCITED! We always place last, but we beat the girls team from Troy Christian! Unfortunately Jacob (aka the boy's team) wasn't able to beat any of the other teams, but he did place in a few things, so we had points for both teams.

It was an exciting meet! Probably the funnest one we've had all season!

Oh, I forgot to mention that when we got there it was raining and we had to set up our tent..(I had been camping with my family and Uncle Steve and Aunt Carissa, so we had this screen tent [meant to keep out bugs and sun..not wind]) Well, that was all we had, so we set it up, but it looked hilarious. The few of us (on the black team) setting up a blue and green striped screen tent in the rain, the wind blowing it over while we struggled to stick tent poles through it. I'm talking about a REAL camping kind of tent..not a pavilion thing like everyone else has. A girl asked Anna (my fellow long jumper) at the long jump, "Who has that weird tent". ;-)


Left to Right: 1st place in the 800 (at Franklin Monroe), 2nd place in the 800 (on Saturday at Southeastern), 3d place in the 100 (on Saturday at Southeastern.

Left to Right: 2nd place at the 100 (at Franklin Monroe), 3rd place in the 4x400 (at Franklin Monroe), 7th place at the long jump (on Saturday at Southeastern).
My collection

The t-shirt Daddy got me (yeah..the black spot is just a messed up part of the picture)

The back of the shirt. See our school at the bottom?!

1 comment:

Diane said...

It was a great day!