Thursday, September 15, 2011

I think I'm in love...

With Robert Frost. I got a book of his poems from the library here the other day and can't get enough of them. I'm pretty sure my appreciation of poetry has tripled just since I checked out this book. It definitely helps that the book is old, not ancient..but old enough to be dignified looking. It smells like a quality kind of book too. (am I the only one who smells books?)

Anyway, I don't have time to really go into any more about this book (not that it'd be interesting to read if I did), but I just wanted to post the first poem I saw when I opened the book the other day in the library: the poem that made me get the book in the first place.

A Late Walk
by Robert Frost

When I go up through the mowing field,
The headless aftermath,
Smooth-laid like thatch with the heavy dew,
Half closes the garden path.

And when I come to the garden ground,
The whir of sober birds
Up from the tangle of withered weeds
Is sadder than any words

A tree beside the wall stands bare,
But a leaf that lingered brown,
Disturbed, I doubt not, by my thought,
Comes softly rattling down.

I end not far from my going forth
By picking the faded blue
Of the last remaining aster flower
To carry again to you.

4 comments:

Diane said...

Lovely poem. I'm glad to hear you're finding time for (pleasurable) reading. :) I had you read a book of Frost poems some time during your education, didn't I? I'm sure I did, but I don't remember you loving him then. Maybe you had to grow into it. Anyway, I'm very glad to see your post here today. Love you!

Cool Screen Name said...

haha this is interesting. I actually did like a 12 page paper on Frost last year. I had to read A LOT of his poetry, and I came to some interesting conclusions...

sarah said...

That poem is beautiful!!
I like him now, too:)

Elie said...

I did read some of his poems in middle school i'm pretty sure, but only a few of them struck me as enjoyable to read...maybe it's the fact that the library makes me feel poetic ;)